1.    What documents are required to receive a passport?

To receive a passport, citizens of the RA should submit:

(a)    application form (in other countries, application form is given by a diplomatic or consular  representative of the RA),

(b)   birth certificate and the passport of a citizen of the RA received before attaining the age of 16 or other identification documents,  in case a citizen of the RA cannot present the passports stated in the following point,

(c)    two 35 x 45 color photos, 

(d)   agreement of the parents or one of the parents or legal representative (those receiving the passport under 16) . If the parent or legal representative cannot show the agreement in person, then the accuracy of his or her signature on the submitted agreement must be certified by a notary,

(e)    registration certificate or military card (conscripts) (Section 6).


2.    How can a lost or invalid passport of an RA citizen be recovered in a foreign country?


In order to recover the lost or invalid passport, the citizen of the RA living in a foreign country applies to the diplomatic or consular representation of the given country.

If there is no diplomatic or consular institution of the RA in the given country, then he or she may apply to the representation of the neighboring country.


3.    Who is allowed to send an invitation to a non-resident to visit the RA?

A non-resident is allowed to get an invitation to visit the RA from:

• citizen of the RA living in the RA,

•a nonresident having residence permit in the RA,

• legal persons registered in the RA,

• state bodies, local self-government bodies of the RA, embassies accredited in the RA, consular institutions and international companies (their representations) .


4.    How does a married couple acquire citizenship?


The marriage of a citizen of the RA with a non-resident does not automatically lead to the change of citizenship of either of the partners, as well as change of citizenship of either of the partners does not lead to the change of the other's citizenship. However, the mentioned conditions can serve as a basis for change of citizenship.


5.    How is the citizenship of a child established? 


The child whose parents are citizens of the RA at the moment of his or her birth acquires citizenship of the RA, regardless of place of birth.

The child, one of whose parents is a citizen of the RA at the moment of his or her birth and the other parent is unknown or does not have citizenship, acquires citizenship of the RA.

In case one of the parents is a citizen of the RA and the other is a citizen of a foreign country, the citizenship of a child is established  by the parents' general agreement. If there is no agreement, a child acquires citizenship of the RA if:

• he or she was born in the RA or

• in case he or she does not acquire citizenship of the RA, he or she becomes an individual who does not have citizenship, or

• parents permanently live in the RA.


6.    Who grants citizenship of theRA? 


Citizenship of the RA is granted by the decree of the President of the RA.


7.    Is it allowed to terminate citizenship of the RA if a person has decided to live permanently in other country?


The residence outside of the RA (as well as permanent residence) does not lead to termination of citizenship of the RA. Moreover, it is guaranteed by law that citizens living outside of the RA benefit from the protection and patronage of the RA.


8.    What should a citizen of the RA  do if he or she is not drafted?


After attaining the age of 18, a citizen must personally present himself to a military registration and enlistment office before attaining the age of 27 and specify why he is not drafted. 

Idleness  is also viewed as military service evasion.


9.    What should  a citizen of the RA do if he or she has attained the age of 18, but does not have a passport?


For military registration, citizens must present themselves to the military registration and enlistment office (diplomatic body, consular institution) of their place of registration  (those without registration present themselves at the place of  actual residence. A citizen may receive a passport on the basis of the reference of military registration. 


10. What should a citizen under the age of 27 having evaded mandatory military service do if a prosecution is instigated against him? 


A citizen must present himself to the military registration and enlistment office of his place of registration (or actual place of residence) or to a law-enforcement authority.  A military registration and enlistment office and law-enforcement authority take measures to determine whether the citizen is fit for service and present the citizen to the recruitment committee. If the recruitment committee decides to call up a citizen for military service, then the law-enforcement authority ceases prosecution as prescribed by law and the citizen is called up for military service without any negative consequence  afterwards.  

In the case when a citizen under 27 having avoided mandatory military service has a reason for being exempt from military service before the 1st of 2011 ( e.g. has become a Master of Science) or has a reason to receive deferment of recruitment (e.g. his second child was born)  he may pay sums prescribed by law to the State Budget, and as a result, the persecution will be ceased. He will be registered in the reserve of the RA military forces and will receive a military card. 


11. Can a citizen having avoided mandatory military service pay corresponding sums to the State Budget by mediation without returning to the RA in advance? 


Yes, a citizen having avoided mandatory military service may authorize anybody by way of a notary to act on behalf of him within state and local self-government bodies, submit applications, as well as pay sums. Moreover, he may authorize the same person to receive his military card. The  parent, adopter or guardian of the citizen having avoided mandatory military service may also act on his behalf, without any letter of attorney (in any case the letter of attorney is mandatory for receiving the military card).

It becomes clear that the citizen having avoided is not obliged to return to the RA in advance. He may return after the end of persecution, being taken to the military service and after receiving the military card.


12. May an 18 year-old citizen of the RA pay sums to the State Budget and be absolutely exempt from mandatory military service?


No, RA legislation does not provide the possibility of exemption from mandatory military service by paying sums. Every 18-year-old citizen of the RA is obliged to serve in the Armenian army as prescribed by law.


13. In which cases are non-residents not allowed to enter the RA?


Non-residents may not enter the RA if:

• they do not have a passport or relevant document.

• they have arrived to the checkpoint of the RA state border with an invalid passport.

• their visas have been rejected at the checkpoint of the  state border.

• they have not been granted the right to access by the authority carrying out  border control.



14. What is the basis for rejecting a residence permit for a non-resident? 


As a general rule, a residence permit for a non-resident can be rejected if:

• he or she has been deported from the RA or  has been deprived of a residence permit (and if less than 3 years have passed since the decision of deport or the refusal of residency permit),

• he or she has been sentenced for committing a serious crime or a particularly serious crime in the RA,

• there are reliable data that he or she wants to harm the national security of the RA, constitutional order, weaken protection, carry out terrorist acts, human trafficking  and so on,

• he or she suffers  from an infectious disease posing a threat to public health,

• in order to receive residence permit he or she has provided false information or has not submitted necessary documents.



15.  In what order may a non-resident appeal the rejection of a residence permit application?

With the exception of the special residence permit, in order to get or extend the residence permit, a non-resident may, through judicial procedure, appeal the rejection of the submitted application.



16. In case of rejection of an application for a residence permit, how soon may a non-resident reapply for a residence permit?


In case of refusal to issue a residence permit a non-resident may reapply for a residence permit within a year.



17. How is a child's grade determined after returning to RA?


The Ministry of Education and Science has approved the degrees of equivalence of the educational systems of Armenia and other states according to which the class shift of the child citizen of the RA having returned to Armenia is determined. After determining the degree of equivalence of educational systems, the department of education of the regional administration of the residence instructs the school administration to check the child's level of knowledge and determine what grade he or she should be in.  For school children having returned from Russia, the grade is usually reduced by one year.



18. In which case is the graduate exempt from the state final examinations for the subject "Armenian Language"?


If a graduate in the 10th grade has only studied the Armenian language in the 9th and 10th grades, then he or she may be exempt from taking the state final examinations for the subject by his or her will. In this case, the words “not studied” are written in the appropriate line of the certificate of the graduate.



19. In which cases do applicants have the right to take entrance exams in Russian?


Graduates with Russian education have the right to take entrance examinations in Russian (except for the Armenian and foreign language examinations).



20. In which case can entrance examinations be taken in a language other than Armenian?


Applicants with no grade for  Armenian language and literature in the certificate of secondary education or corresponding document on leaving school may take the examination in the Russian language (in written form) instead of the Armenian language (in written form) , and those with no grades for Russian language and literature may take the examination in any foreign language (English, French, German, Spanish, Italian).



21. By what principles is the transfer of students from foreign state universities or licensed non-state institutions to the universities of the RA carried out ?


The transfer of a student from a foreign state or licensed, specialized non-state university to a university of the RA is based on the principle of paid training. Students sent to study at a foreign university under international agreements and returning to the RA due  to health condition or other compelling circumstances hindering the learning process, may continue their studies free- of-charge upon the suggestion of the rector of the host university and with the consent of the Ministry of Education and Science of the RA. In case of approval, the host university submits to the Ministry the student's academic reference. The decision on transfer is made by the Minister of Education and Science of the RA upon receiving a positive response to the written request from the corresponding foreign university.



22. What is the language of teaching for children with dual citizenship of the RA?


The language of education in the RA is Armenian, but the children of those having dual citizenship may study in the language chosen by their parents (legal representatives). The same applies to child citizens of other states who do not have citizenship of the Republic of Armenia, as well as the children, one of whose parents is a citizen of the RA and the other is a foreigner.



23. Is seniority required to get pension in the RA?


Seniority can be a requirement for certain categories of pensions. For example, for the age retirement pension, a person (man or woman) is required to have attained the age of 63 and have seniority of at least 25 years. For old age pension, no seniority is required. The person is simply required to have attained the age of 65. 



24. Is health insurance mandatory in the RA?


There are no legal acts regarding mandatory health insurance in the RA. Health insurance is carried out voluntarily within appropriate insurance companies.



25. What is considered a real estate?


Real estate is considered a land plot, part of the subsoil, isolated water bodies, forests, perennial plantings, underground and surface buildings, structures and other property fixed to the ground.



26. What is an apostille?


Apostille is a special stamp to facilitate the recognition of legal documents of the citizen in other countries. It is certified by the authenticity of post of an individual,, the person signing the document, the signature, as well as the seal or stamp  affixed to the document.



27. On what documents is an apostille not put in the RA?


An apostille is not put on the documents issued by diplomatic and consular representatives, as well as documents directly related to commercial or customs operations and transactions. An apostille is not put on the documents contradicting the legislation of the RA.



28. What is a free economic zone?


According to the Law of the RA  “On free economic zones”, a free economic zone is  a special area determined by the Government of the RA and is located outside the customs zone RA where entrepreneurial activity is carried out according to the features provided by law.



29. What documents are required for the registration of a private entrepreneur?


According to the Law of the RA ’” Onstate registration of legal entities’’, the state registration of legal entities and the keeping of records of private entrepreneurs shall be carried out by the State Register Agency  of Legal Entities of the Ministry of Justice of the RA. For registration of the private entrepreneur, an application, a copy of the passport (foreigners submit a certified and translated passport copy), a copy of social security card  a 3x4 color photo and coupon of payment of the fee (AMD 3000) must be submitted to the Agency.



30. How soon may a company be registered in the State Register Agency of Legal Entities of the Ministry of Justice of the RA?


A legal entity is considered registered from the moment of making the corresponding entry in the log. If there is a full and complete set of documents, the State Registry Agency officer writes about the registration of legal entities on the spot. Today in the RA businesses can also be registered online . Any person, including a foreigner, can register his or her company in the electronic register within a few minutes by visiting  After submitting the required documents correctly and through the established procedure, the company is considered  registered.



31. What is the term for a registered entity or a permanent resident of the RA to import his or her car to the RA?


Vehicles of personal use registered in the territory of a foreign state are temporarily imported by the physical entities of the Customs Union states by any means for a term not exceeding six months. The temporary importation of such vehicles is permitted under the condition of payment of customs duties and taxes according to the Customs Legislation of the Customs Union.



32. How can Syrian-Armenian drivers take back their Syrian driver’s license and receive an Armenian temporary driver’s license?


According to the amendments made to N 334  “On the replacement of driver’s license of citizens of the Syrian Arab Republic of Armenian nationality”’ by the Government of the RA on 4 April 2013,  Syrian Armenian drivers can retrieve Syrian driver’s licenses by submitting an application  before December 31, 2015. At present, Syrian Armenian drivers may receive temporary driving licenses before taking corresponding examinations, without submitting the Syrian license.  



33. Is a Value Added Tax (VAT) paid for importing an automobile from a member state of the Customs Union to the Republic of Armenia?


Pursuant to point 5 of part 1 of Article 25 of the Treaty on the Eurasian Economic Union of 29 May 2014, products shall be transported freely through the territories of member states without customs declaration and state control (transport, sanitary, veterinary-sanitary, quarantine phytosanitary) within the scope of the member states of the Customs Union, except for the cases provided for by the same Treaty. In this case, formulations are not made and customs duties are not levied for imports in the cases of imports of automobiles from a member state of the Union.

As far as the taxes paid in the case of importing an automobile from the Russian Federation to the Republic of Armenia are concerned, pursuant to part 1 of Article 71 of the Treaty on the Eurasian Economic Union, the products imported from the territory of any member state to the territory of another member state shall be levied with indirect taxes. At the same time, pursuant to point 1 of part 6 of Article 72 of the Treaty, indirect taxes shall not be levied, if the products being imported into the territory of the member state are not subject to be levied in the case of import to the territory thereof in accordance with the legislation of that member state (are exempt from levying).

Taking into consideration the above mentioned, as well as the fact that, pursuant to point 13 of Article 7 of the Law of the RA “On value added tax”, no VAT is levied for the import of personal items of citizens leaving for the Republic of Armenia for permanent residence (the items are not deemed to be objects to be taxed), in the specified case, VAT shall not be calculated and paid for the transaction of import of an automobile pertaining to the citizen arriving in the RA for permanent residence by the right to ownership (irrespective of the fact of dual citizenship).

At the same time, pursuant to Article 5 of the Law of the RA “On customs regulation”, the property of personal use of natural persons arriving in the RA for permanent residence shall be the used items of personal use of a natural person, one personal car and used domestic items that are not packaged in a factory, not labeled and not obtained by the natural person prior to arrival in the RA. Moreover, the personal car must, at least 6 months prior to the last time it was removed from registration prior to import to the RA, be registered under the name of the natural person arriving in the RA for permanent residence in the country where the person arriving in the RA for permanent residence last resided prior to being registered as a permanent resident of the RA.


Events calendar





<<  2020  >> <<  April  >>
Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
20.07.2016  |  Congratulations



Dear compatriots,

I cordially congratulate the Armenian Youth Association of California on its 25th anniversary.

25.04.2017  |  Speeches

Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem

His Beatitude Archbishop

Nourhan Manougian, 

Distinguished Reuven Amitai,

Dear participants,


Yesterday, on April 24th, our compatriots around the world and the progressive representatives of hundreds of countries paid their deep and sincere respects to the memory of the innocent victims of the Armenian Genocide.